4 ea. Whole bone-in chicken breasts
2 # Small red bliss potatoes, halved or quartered
1 ea. Large onion, diced large
6 whole heads of garlic, all cloves peeled and whole
¼ C. Olive oil
1 bu. Fresh rosemary
2 C. Chicken stock
2 Tbs. Butter
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 500º . Place a heavy cast-iron Dutch oven with lid inside while pre-heating.
- Toss potatoes, onions, and garlic with olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- When Dutch oven is very hot, place potato mixture in Dutch oven. Place half the rosemary sprigs on top, then chicken breasts, then remaining rosemary sprigs.
- Close lid and cook for 45 minutes without opening. Gently shake Dutch oven occasionally to move potatoes around.
- When done, remove chicken and potatoes to a platter. Place Dutch oven with onions and garlic on a burner. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, and simmer until reduce by ½ to 2/3.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, and serve with potatoes and chicken. A crispy, simple salad of iceberg lettuce and mild blue cheese goes nicely with this dish.