1 ea. Stone, clean and hopefully sterilized
2 # Potatoes, diced
1 C. Lentils
2 ea. Bay leaves
1 C. Diced onion
1 C. Diced carrot
1 C. Diced Celery
3 ea. Garlic cloves, sliced
1 ea. Small bunch greens (mustard, kale, chard, sliced/chopped)
2 C. Green beans snipped and cut
4 C. Diced tomatoes
1 C. fresh cut corn
Whatever fresh herbs are available
Salt and pepper, very important
Splash of olive oil.
1 ea. Baguette, cut into chunks
1. Place stone in pot. Cover with water and season well with salt and pepper. Perform this act in full view of poor, hungry villagers.
2. Make a fire. Begin heating pot on fire. When first villager comes to question, describe the soup that you are making and that it would be delicious if only you had a few potatoes. When villager brings potatoes, dice them and add them.
3. When second villager arrives, describe how you are making Stone Soup and that it will be delicious, and that all you need is a few lentils. When villager brings them, add to soup. (Be careful to inspect the lentils for rocks before adding.)
4. Continue to suggest ingredients as villagers arrive. Add in sequence. Allow pot to simmer all the while. Chat with villagers. Relax around the fire.
5. Stir occasionally.
6. When olive oil and fresh herbs have been added, remove from fire. Ask if anyone has a stale chunk of bread. Cut it up to fit in bowls. Pour soup over bread. Serve everyone!